Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Friendship Bracelets.

itg1

My brother always had a bazillion friendship bracelets growing up ... mainly from girls who wanted to be anything but friends but he was easy and I was not going to protect him from the hard lessons of life he needed to learn.

itg2

I didn't have any bracelets.  (you may need to keep a box of kleenex handy while you read this)  My grandparents seemed deeply disappointed by that even though I tried to point out it was just brighly coloured bits of whatever braided and tied. I also tried to argue that trading your dignity for some string was counterproductive to me developing into a well rounded, centered human being. I pointed out that my brothers arm was already green and purple where the cheap dyes had worn off.

They were adamant ... I needed friendship bracelets.  I think it says in the Bible somewhere that children shalt have bracelets or something.  I made the mistake of rolling my eyes, looking across the prairies ... all the way through Saskatchewan to Manitoba . . .  and asked who they would suggest I hit up for some motley pieces of coloured string?   Stupid move because the people your parents think you should be friends with are always the people that you end up voting as the person most likely to end up a serial killer in your high school yearbook. Parents are always the last to know ... that is why you always see a parent being interviewed on those crime shows about serial killers saying things like, "We lived next door, we just had no idea. He seemed like such a nice kid.  Always so helpful with the garden sheers." Hence I had to be friends with several serial killers. I went to church with them and had to invite them over whenever I wanted to invite anyone else because I guess my grandparents had their egos heavily invested in me having lots of friendship bracelets.  

So then I tried faking it and making my own but they wanted to see the kid attached to the bracelet. For some reason they didn't buy into my story that a bus pulled up outside of our school in the middle of nowhere at lunchtime, full of kids with friendship bracelets and amazingly ... I won them all.

itg3
 
 
You know I was ok with going through life without friendship bracelets. I never internalized the connection that it also probably indicated that I did not have a lot of friends. Cows don't count ... probably because they can't braid string or something.
 
I was ok until I started looking at Pinterest and they had all these friendship bracelets ... like ya we needed that to be revived thanks very much. So I am sitting here typing with three freshly braided friendship bracelets on my wrist. Hubby wanted to know where I got them from. I told him a bus pulled up at lunch time ....
 
SKIN:   Mirror's Enigma [:ME:] Eliza Peach Skintone Apricot
HAIR:  ""D!va"" Hair "Daria" (Cat's eye)
EYES:  IKON Horizon Eyes v2 - Black
LASHES:  Aimesi
PEARLS:  Maxi Gossamer MG - Necklace - Pearls - Combo Sets and Singles
NAILS:  **Feel** FlowerPink&GoldNail
TOP:  The Sea Hole - Annis Lace tops 2 pack - Coral
SKIRT:  [ SAKIDE ] French Touch Skirt Beige
SHOES:  [LeLutka]-Saffron Pumps(Soft Blush)
 
Ever wonder how my mind works that I come up with all this stuff?? Well ... I have no idea BUT if you enjoy this Blog you might be interested in Bliss/Aria's other blogs - find out more at Intertwingled. Join us on Facebook!
Post a Comment