Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Lace Gloves are So Elegant.

rrl1a

My grandmother was big on gloves ... especially on little girls hands for church on Sundays.

rrl2a


Once the mittens came off that is. Let's face it, lace mittens with bows would not be practical in the frozen Northland ... and nobody knits that well to make practical heavy wool look "pretty" which is why we settle for Moose heads knit into our sweaters etc. No-one critiques the art of a moose. You can fudge the nose, the antlers, the proportions , , ,  and people are very forgiving. They are much harsher critics for pretty or cute.  Notice that most people have not included a "moose" category in their Pinterest accounts. There is a reason for that. People on the prairie look at warm sweaters and mittens with their moose motif and do the head nod ...

"Moose eh?"

"Yup."

"Nice!"

And then we pass the coffee and the donuts.

So once the spring thaw hit and she could be accused of causing her grand daughter to lose her fingers due to frost bite, my grandmother insisted on white lace gloves. I hated them but every freaking picture of me is in a darn stupid dress AND white lace gloves.  We were on the freaking prairies for crying out loud ... white gloves???

Finally, I couldn't take it any more and I put my foot down and said "No more!!" I demanded to know what the big deal was with wearing stupid white lace gloves to church.

I was 33 years old and enough was enough.

She told me that it was the best way of keeping kids from picking their noses.

rrl3a
 
Which made sense where my brother and grandfather were concerned . . . and I thanked her for that and thought perhaps they should continue to wear theirs but . . .  I handed mine in ... only after I signed a legal document promising my fingers would not go anywhere near my nose.
 
I told her not to worry, I would knit some moose mittens during the sermon.
 
SKIN:  Anxiety Elena
HAIR:  Tukinowaugma Tyako
EYES:   IKON 'Sunrise' Eyes - Light Steel Blue
LASHES:  *ByKay* ~ Eyelashes ~ *Seductive*
MAKE-UP:  Natural Beauty  set 12 Make-up 7
HAT:  !*Bliss Couture*! Noelle Hat (Red)
DRESS:  1 Hundred. Posh Dress. Red for Acid Lily
JEWELLERY:  *P* Sandra Phoebe's Piercings for Acid Lily
GLOVES:  Amrita Roses Wristlet & Black Lace Glove NLA
TATTOO:  [White~Widow - Face Tattoo] Black Number 13
SHOES:  Rose River Saloon *RRS* Domina  Black Gator
 
Ever wonder how my mind works that I come up with all this stuff?? Well ... I have no idea BUT if you enjoy this Blog you might be interested in Bliss/Aria's other blogs - find out more at Intertwingled. Join us on Facebook!  where there is even more.
Post a Comment